04 July 2010

Back From The States

Summer is not my favorite time in the United States, at least in Georgia and Virginia.  So only one thing could make us go there: family obligations.  A nephew was getting married in St Petersburg, FL.  The groom is the son of my sister Agnes who died of breast cancer in 2005.  So there was no question but to go.  The wedding was beautiful.  The couple included family members in the Nuptial Mass.  The reception was great and thankfully only a few blocks from the hotel.  Few of those present had any business behind the wheel of a car...

We went to Atlanta to see our daughter, Richmond to visit with my sister and our son.  We also went to Norfolk to see my brother.  (Both cities in Virginia.)  The ride back brought us from Richmond, VA to Dallas, TX to Miami, Fl to Quito.  A ride from hell that had us up at 0400 hrs and not getting to bed till after midnight.  But for reasons best known to the airlines, the cheapest flight available.

What struck me as we talked to friends and family was the tension and stress that is almost palpable about jobs and the cost of living.  This experience made my wife and I talk about our decision to stay in Ecuador and live in Cuenca.  While I don't think that economics should be the only factor, it is a factor when quality of life is considered.  Ecuador has a family oriented culture.  Intergenerational parties are the norm not the exception.  In the States, it seems to me, as we get older we are more and more sidelined to mix with other "old folks."  Ecuador also is more willing to accept volunteers who have honed skills over a lifetime.  And Ecuadorians are a lot more accepting of us in their country than we are of them in my country..

Maybe I'm wrong in this.  Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself.  But it's not my first rodeo.  Let's see what I think a year from now.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. As you know we've only been here a short time, but we can already feel the "adding years to your life and life to your years" vibe. So far zero regrets.

    ReplyDelete